Choosing the right dentist for you and your family is an important decision. Your dentist is the person you trust to care for your oral health. Therefore, it is essential for you to do your research and be completely confident with your decision. Below are some helpful tips to consider.
First and foremost, it is important to make sure that the dentist is qualified. You should verify that the dentist is a current member of the American Dental Association (ADA). As “the oldest and largest national dental organization in the world,” the ADA supports “the best possible oral health care for the public by strengthening the dental profession.” ADA members are “committed to the highest standards of dental care.”
To find the best dentist to meet your needs, consider asking the following questions as a starting point:
- What are the office hours? Do they have evening and/or weekend appointments? Are they convenient for your schedule?
- Is the office easy to get to from work or home?
- Where was the dentist educated and trained?
- What’s the dentist’s approach to preventive dentistry?
- How often does the dentist attend conferences and continuing education workshops?
- What type of anesthesia is the dentist certified to administer to help you relax and feel more comfortable during any necessary dental treatment?
- What arrangements are made for handling emergencies outside of office hours?
- Is information provided about all fees and payment plans before treatment is scheduled? If you are comparison shopping, ask for estimates on some common procedures such as full-mouth X-rays, an oral exam and cleaning, and filling a cavity.
- Does the dentist participate in your dental health plan?
- What is the dentist’s office policy on missed appointments?
If visiting a dentist’s office:
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat, and orderly? Do all surfaces and equipment in the treatment room appear clean?
- Is the dental staff helpful and willing to answer your questions?
- Do you observe the dentist and staff wearing gloves and other protective gear during actual patient treatment?
Additionally technology is an essential part of a dental practice; dentistry has evolved over time as the result of technological innovations. New technology is designed to benefit the patient and it is important for a dentist to be aware of it and use it in ways to continuously improve patient care. Some dentist are more willing to adopt new technology than others.
If you are looking for a compassionate dentist in the greater Buffalo NY area, Dr. Michael G. Moore, founder of Moore Family Dental, would like to personally invite you to stop in for a visit. We are conveniently located at 350 Alberta Drive in Amherst (near the border of Buffalo and Tonawanda) It’s important for you to see firsthand how Dr. Moore and the entire staff at Moore Family Dental are focused upon total oral health. The entire team is ready to listen to your questions, address your concerns and get you to a point of optimal oral well being. With that said, we invite you to experience the friendliness and warmth at Moore Family Dental.